Reporter Spencer Neale wrote of the controversy:
David Herring, brother of Sen. Elizabeth Warren, said he is “furious” to learn the Massachusetts Democrat called their father a janitor on the campaign trail.
“According to a family friend, David has disagreed with the way Warren calls herself the daughter of a janitor as she describes the work he found after losing a job as a salesman after his heart attack,” the Boston Globe reports.
Speaking with a family friend, Herring was adamant that his father was a maintenance worker, not a janitor. “My Dad was never a janitor,” he told the Globe.
Warren has referred to her father as a maintenance man in the past but has used the term “janitor” while on the campaign trail.
In a 2012 speech titled “Values and the Economic Crisis,” Warren did not identify her father as a janitor. “My father held a series of jobs. His last one was mowing lawns and cleaning swimming pools for an apartment house,” she said.
- ^ Will Weissert, Warren’s origin story, her mother and THE dress, comes home, AP, Dec. 20, 2019
- ^ Barack Obama, Elizabeth Warren TV ad: 'Rose Garden', YouTube, May 01, 2012
- ^ Ryan Saavedra, Elizabeth Warren’s Brother ‘Furious’ Over Her Latest Alleged False Claim About Family, Report Says, The Daily Wire, Dec. 26, 2019
- ^ Spencer Neale, 'Furious': Elizabeth Warren's brother rips senator for calling their father a janitor, The Washington Examiner, Dec. 26, 2019
- ^ Jess Bidgood, Elizabeth Warren's brothers are a silent fixture of her campaign, The Boston Globe, Dec. 23, 2019